Monday, January 17, 2011

Maple + Cherry = flaky crust

Here's a humbling reminder from the shop that wood does, in fact, grow on trees.



Early this spring my brother gave me an assortment of two-inch limbs he'd trimmed from a maple tree.  I cut them into usable lengths, waxed the ends (to prevent checking), stored them in a dry place to wait until the moisture  left them.


Along comes my friend Alann who asked me to make a rolling pin for his mother's birthday, and out came the maple, off came the wax, and into the lathe went this nice 18-incher.



This piece locked up really nicely.  It was a really clean piece that turned like a dream.




Maple has a distinctively sweet smell as you turn it.



Starting at a 60 grit and ending up at a 220 grit, it sanded up nicely.



Dowels await the turning of a pair of cherry handles.



Finished, with an "old school" tattoo design, this rolling pin is destined for a collection rather than a kitchen drawer.  I'm still hoping though, for a slice of apple pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How many would you like?